FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Childhood memories

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puffin

PostSubject: Childhood memories   Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:25 am

So, today it’s cold outside, there’s 6 inches of snow on the ground and I’m bored. I’ve just been rummaging through an old box containing subbuteo stuff from my childhood and came across some old photos and a medal for the only tournament I played in when I was child.

Back in 1993 I was a part of Yatton Athletic football club (I was 12) and they decided to hold their first (and sadly last) subbuteo tournament. The tournament was open to all members of the club, no matter what age you were; the only requirement of the tournament was that you had to be a member of the football club to play. During this period of my childhood I was absolutely mad for subbuteo (still am!), playing nearly every day against my friend Paul who lived in the same street as me. Occasionally our friend Tim from 2 streets away would come round and play mini tournaments with both Paul and myself.

Both Tim and I were members of the local football club and had been told about the subbuteo competition. We both entered and practiced like mad for the 2 weeks before the tournament started. As Paul (who was probably the best player out of the 3 of us) wasn’t part of the football club he wasn’t allowed to enter, so both Tim and I practiced our skills against him.

I have 3 main memories of the tournament:

1. I had a loose tooth which I pulled out half way through the day by eating a Wham! bar

2. I played with my favourite team, Marseille 674 (the adidas 3 stripe version). 1 player got broken just before my semi final match which meant I had to use a different team

3. The Aston Villa team I used as a replacement was rubbish (well that’s my excuse)

I remember the format was 2 groups of 5 players, everyone playing each other once with the top 2 from each group progressing to the semi finals. We did not play a plate tournament. I really don’t remember much from the group stages but must have finished either first or second as I made it through to the semi finals. Sometime between the group stages ending and the semi finals starting I lost my tooth and someone stood on one of my players…instantly killing him. I hadn’t taken a spare team with me and not wanting to play with a man short, I was allowed to borrow a team from someone who hadn’t progressed past the group stages. A boy called Philip let me use his Aston Villa team, which was possibly the worst team I have ever played with. Every figure was a rattler and there were at least 3 leaners (well, that’s how remember it anyway!).

I was drawn against Tim in the semi final who played with a West Ham team which made our game difficult to play as the colours of our bases were very similar. I lost to Tim (which didn’t happen very often when we played in our league back home) so I ended up playing in the 3rd / 4th place play-off which I won (I can’t remember the boy’s name, but he’s the one in the Bristol rugby top on the far right of the photo). Tim lost the final to a boy called Richard; the trophy was nearly as big as he was!

I sold the Marseille team about 3 years ago to an ISF member and instantly regretted it. This month I finally managed to purchase another 674 adidias 3 stripe - it’s taken me nearly 3 years to find another! It plays just as well as my original team did (probably psychological rather than being different to any other team I play with) and I have instantly fallen in love with it. I guess the moral of the story is don’t sell teams that you love as you’ll regret it sooner or later!

Here's the photos I found and a few pictures of my medal from the day

Me and Tim before the semi final (I'm on the right)

picture after the final / playoff

(L-R: Me (3rd place), Richard (winner), Tim (2nd place), Kid I can't remember (4th place)

My "new" 674

FANTASY FLICKER - Bespoke Handpainted Subbuteo
http://fantasyflicker.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ute ubo

PostSubject: Re: Childhood memories   Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 am

The Aston Villa team I used as a replacement was rubbish (well that’s my excuse) its not an excuse the vile are rubbish mate its spelt differently mate S h i t e!

Nice story Ad missing you guys when ya coming to brum to play me?

Ute

'KEEP RIGHT ON' AND 'SOTV'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.marshalllaw.co.uk
Puffin

PostSubject: Re: Childhood memories   Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:02 am

when it stops snowing! finally bought a car so can come over whenever Smile

FANTASY FLICKER - Bespoke Handpainted Subbuteo
http://fantasyflicker.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ute ubo

PostSubject: Re: Childhood memories   Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:48 am

Top man had a session last night n played like a dream still using the croatia team mate. Hope to see you soon here or if I can make the odd session weather n work n band permitting? manlove to all at wrp7!

Ute

'KEEP RIGHT ON' AND 'SOTV'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.marshalllaw.co.uk
Donegal Subbuteo

PostSubject: Re: Childhood memories   Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:52 am

Nice story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ESSGEE

PostSubject: Re: Childhood memories   Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:28 am

Nice one, Adam.  You haven't changed a bit!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Childhood memories   

Back to top Go down

Childhood memories
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1