FRIENDSHIP IMPROVES HAPPINESS AND ABATES MISERY BY DOUBLING OUR JOY AND DIVIDING OUR GRIEF

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tale of the unexpected

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fingers

PostSubject: Tale of the unexpected   Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:33 am

I wasn't expecting this conversation at a Carol Concert this evening, organised by the local hospice...

One of the chaplains (Trevor Williams) was doing a light-hearted bit about Christmas, and David (Stadium of Fingers Chef) lent over and said he thought his wife mentioned Trevor had played Subbuteo in his younger days.

So afterwards, I wandered over to him, introduced myself and said "What's all this about Subbuteo in your younger days?"

He said that was quite a while ago, as he was old enough now to have had quite a few 'younger days', but he did chat about what is was like...

So this was back in the days when the earth was 'flat' and real men were made of cardboard. He was in quite a vibrant and sporty church group based in Leeds - vibrant enough to field 4 football teams in the local league. They also had a Subbuteo league, which he once won. These plentiful sporting endeavours warranted an awards evening, where loads of trophies and prizes were given out. Trevor remembers the highlight of the evening was always a showcase Subbuteo match (just 5 minutes each way), where the winner of the league played the winner of the cup.

The time Trevor played in this match, watched by all the gathered ensemble, was the same year when John Charles had agreed to give out the various awards! (the Church Minister was well networked Cool)

So it was quite natural for John Charles to also be asked to referee this showcase match, which he duly did, and Trevor suddenly found the "greatest all-round footballer ever to come from Wales" (wikipedia!) refereeing his Subbuteo match!! Shocked cheers

...and one more link to top it off, here's card no. 3 of the Subbuteo card set...

Last edited by fingers on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forfoxsake

PostSubject: Re: Tale of the unexpected   Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:39 pm

Shocked Surprised What a fantastic tale Steve , enjoyed reading that .John Charles total legend , still held in very high regard in Italy as well as Wales and Leeds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ESSGEE

PostSubject: Re: Tale of the unexpected   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 am

Classy little anecdote, Stevie Wonder!

I never tire of hearing about proper leagues, and well supported Subby clubs. Brilliant stuff. And it's always a cracking bonus to have the game endorsed by a celebrity figure (especially such an impressive one ). I bet he didn't want £50K for doing it either!

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ute ubo

PostSubject: Re: Tale of the unexpected   Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Fantastic tale mate enjoyed the read when footballers were men!

Ute

'KEEP RIGHT ON' AND 'SOTV'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.marshalllaw.co.uk
Gullseye

PostSubject: Re: Tale of the unexpected   Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Great. It's amazing how many people have a story to tell about Subbuteo. The book that hasn't been written.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tale of the unexpected   

Back to top Go down

Tale of the unexpected
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1